Sunday 31 March 2013

Martins could get first start for Sounders against Real Salt Lake on Saturday

Obafemi Martins

The Nigerian international is expected to make his first start for his new club on Saturday against Real Salt Lake. Nigeria striker, Obafemi Martins could be handed his first start for his new club, Seattle Sounders against Real Salt Lake on Saturday. He could be paired upfront with US international, Eddie Johnson.
And Johnson believes their partnership will help a struggling Sounders attack get goals – they have scored just a goal in their last three games.

"I thought we moved off each other really well. I thought we combined with each other really well. I'm excited," Johnson told Sounder at Heart.

Martins returned to Seattle on Tuesday and has trained well leading to the match against Real Salt Lake on Saturday.

"He got here on Tuesday and was able to do a little bit of stuff Tuesday, a little bit Wednesday, so I think by Saturday he should be fine," Sounders manager, Sigi Schmid said.

"He's come off playing at Levante where they were playing on the weekend and then playing a Europa Cup on the midweek so he's used to that rhythm as well."

And Martins is ready to play if he is chosen. "I'm a soccer [football] player. It's not mine to say if I'll go and play. I have no choice. I'm ready to go."

And he said he is focussed on helping his new team do well in the MLS as Nigeria has a packed fixture list later in the year.

"I don't want to talk about that now. I have to focus on Sounders FC first. They are my team and I look towards that,” Martins concluded.


@glitaratiz

No comments:

Post a Comment